LEARN LA strives to encourage a culture of learning for both our students and our staff! We offer rewarding internship and job opportunities and proudly support our team members by fostering their professional development and offering promotional opportunities when possible. Join our team at LEARN LA, and see the difference you can make!
|Job Location:||El Monte, CA|
|Grade Level:||Grades K-8|
About the role:
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position pays $21.00 per hour and requires the candidate to be available Monday - Friday from 12:00PM - 6:00PM. Youth Leaders may work at any LEARN program and/or site throughout LEARN’s service area and receive their assignments based on their availability and LEARN program needs. Under the direction of a Program/Site Coordinator, Youth Leaders work directly with an assigned group of approximately 20 students in academic, enrichment, and/or recreational activities. A Youth Leader ensures the safety of the students while following a prescribed program plan after school (ASPIRE, PREP & KidsPlay Programs) and occasionally on weekends (Saturday Academy).
What you'll do:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures the supervision and safety of assigned students at all times during program hours;
- Leads and engages a group of assigned students in academic, recreational, and/or enrichment learning activities that are active, collaborative, meaningful, and support mastery;
- Provides instruction in academic and/or enrichment activities using curricular resources, lesson plans and materials provided by LEARN;
- Provides small-group tutoring and/or homework assistance;
- Serves as a positive adult role model for children in the program through appropriate dress, speech, and attitude;
- Arrives punctually to meet responsibilities on site;
- Assists in set up, break down, and ongoing maintenance to keep the program site clean and organized;
- Promotes positive interactions between students, in accordance with student safety guidelines;
- Communicates student needs to Coordinator, teachers, school administration and parents as appropriate;
- Ensures program policies, procedures and requirements are met daily;
Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. Graduation from High School; and, a passing score on the district examination for Instructional Assistants;
2. Graduation from High School; and, two years of college coursework.
1. Two years of college coursework is equivalent to 60 units.
2. Experience working with youth in an educational setting is strongly desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Interest in working with, mentoring, and tutoring at-risk youth;
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, peers, school staff and others;
- Ability to effectively tutor students in assigned subject(s);
- Ability to work as part of a team and act as a positive role model for students;
- Ability to write basic reports summarizing events.
LANGUAGE & COMPUTER SKILLS
- The ability to speak Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese is desired at many of our school sites;
- Competence with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Must be able to lift and carry small loads (up to 25 lbs.) and stand for prolonged hours.
- Must complete Live Scan and obtain Department of Justice and FBI Criminal Background Clearances, as well as Health Clearance (TB Test).
- Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends;
- Must be willing and able to travel anywhere in the region LEARN serves for a job assignment, off-site meetings, trainings, and events.
- Must be eligible to accept all Youth Leader job assignments.
Condition of Employment & Benefits:
This is a Part-Time Casual, non-benefited, non-exempt position with an hourly wage of $21.00. This position requires the candidate to be available to work five days per week, Monday through Friday, during program hours, which is primarily after school and occasionally on weekends. Hours of work will vary, but will not exceed 29 hours per week; specific times and schedules vary, depending upon the school and the needs of the program.
The work calendar for Youth Leaders and all other part-time casual field staff aligns with the academic calendars of our partner school districts. The job has recess breaks during fall, winter, spring and summer. The job resumes after every break and staff are expected to return to work on the date requested by LEARN.